325-331,Greater London, IG1 1NR

What Documents Will I Need to Apply for a UK Sponsor License?

Businesses, educational institutions, and organizations wishing to hire foreign labor, welcome overseas students, or sponsor people for...

What Documents Will I Need to Apply for a UK Sponsor License?


Businesses, educational institutions, and organizations wishing to hire foreign labor, welcome overseas students, or sponsor people for a variety of purposes must first get a UK Sponsor License. You must fulfill certain conditions and present a variety of documentation attesting to your eligibility and dedication to adhering to immigration laws to obtain a sponsor license in the UK.

We will walk you through the necessary paperwork for a UK Sponsor License application, the importance of each document, and some advice for a successful application in this in-depth tutorial. 

What is a UK sponsor license?

Let’s define a UK sponsor license before digging into the necessary paperwork. Organizations looking to hire non-EEA (European Economic Area) nationals in the UK for temporary, skilled, and student positions must get a UK Sponsor License from the Home Office. Employers who wish to hire foreign talent must obtain this license legally, and it is crucial to the integrity of the UK immigration system.


To apply for a UK Sponsor License, you’ll need to select one or more of the following categories:

  1. Tier 2 (General) Sponsorship: For skilled workers

  2. Tier 4 Sponsorship: For educational institutions that wish to enroll international students.

  3. Tier 5 Sponsorship: For temporary workers


You may begin sponsoring people as soon as you have been granted a sponsor license. However, doing so requires you to follow strict compliance guidelines, maintain accurate records, and submit to frequent evaluations by the Home Office.

Documents Required for a UK Sponsor License

You may begin sponsoring people as soon as you have been granted a sponsor license. However, doing so requires you to follow strict compliance guidelines, maintain accurate records, and submit to frequent evaluations by the Home Office.

1. Application Form

The online application form must be completed to obtain a sponsor license. Providing correct and current information about your organization, the category you would like to sponsor under, and your contact information is crucial. Make sure the information on all of your supporting documents matches.

2. Proof of Business Registration

The following documentation of your organization’s legal status must be submitted for us to determine your eligibility:


  • In the case of a limited company, the certificate of incorporation

  • Certificate of Charity Registration for nonprofit institutions

  • Consultants and advisors on immigration must be registered with the OISC.

3. Financial Documents

To ensure you can fulfill your sponsorship obligations, the Home Office will evaluate your financial stability. Usually, the following financial records must be submitted:

  • Business bank statements: A visual representation of the financial stability of your company.

  • Cash flow statements, balance sheets, and profit and loss statements are all included in the annual financial statements.

  • From your bank, a letter confirming your company’s financial situation

4. HR Systems and Processes

In-depth paperwork outlining your HR procedures and systems that show you can fulfill your sponsorship obligations must be included with your application. This ought to comprise:


Job descriptions: for positions that you plan to support.

Policies for hiring and selection: a summary of your hiring procedures

Procedures for keeping records: proving your capacity to keep up staff records, particularly those about immigration status

5. Resident Labor Market Test (if applicable)

You might have to take a Resident Labor Market Test if you’re applying for a Tier 2 (General) Sponsorship. The employment role is advertised to the local labor market as part of this process. What you’ll have to supply is:


Job advertisements: copies and documentation indicating the location and date of the job posting.

Test results: Include documentation of the applications that were received and the rationale behind choosing a non-EEA national.

6. Key Personnel Documents

Information on the members of your organization who will be in charge of overseeing your sponsor license must be included in your application. This comprises:


Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) Authorizing Officer: Your sponsorship responsibilities will be managed by the Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) Authorizing Officer.

Principal Point of Contact: The one who will communicate on your behalf with the Home Office.

7. Criminal Record Certificates

You may need to issue criminal record certificates—also called Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks—to your organization and essential staff. These checks make sure that no one who has been convicted of a specific crime is participating in the sponsoring process.

8. Document Checklist

A document checklist tailored to the category you are applying under is frequently provided by the Home Office. Make sure you carefully go through this checklist to make sure you have included all required documents. Depending on the particulars of your company, this can also comprise supplementary documentation.

9. Supporting Documents for Individual Sponsorship

If you intend to sponsor individuals, such as skilled workers or students, you will need additional documentation, such as:


Certificate of Sponsorship (COS): For each sponsored individual

Qualifications and references of the immigrant: demonstrating their suitability for the position or training

Need any assistance regarding the UK sponsor license?

For start-ups, franchises, charities, and organizations subject to regulation or inspection


You need to provide proof to us that you currently have a corporate bank account with a bank that is approved by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.


If you are applying under the Global Business Mobility—UK Expansion Worker category, you are exempt from sending this evidence.


Your franchise agreement, duly signed by both parties, must be sent to us.

Subject to a requirement for inspection or registration

In the event that operating legally in the UK necessitates registration with, inspection by, or monitoring by a regulatory agency, we will verify your registration and, if applicable, refer to your most recent inspection report. Instances consist of, but are not restricted to:

  • Businesses that provide nursing care or similar services are typically subject to inspections by Ofsted, the Care Quality Commission, or comparable organizations in Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

  • Businesses engaged in regulated activities in the financial or insurance sectors are required to register with either the Prudential Regulation Authority or the Financial Conduct Authority.


It is not necessary for you to send us any documentation proving your charitable status if your name appears on any of the following registries or websites; we will verify your entry online.


  • Charity Commission for England and Wales

  • Charity Commission for Northern Ireland

  • Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR)


In order for us to perform our online check or to obtain extra proof of your charitable status, you must inform us of the name you are registered under if you are applying under a different one from the one you are registered under.


You must provide us with evidence that you have acquired charity status for tax purposes from HMRC if you are situated in Northern Ireland and are not registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland.

Route-specific documents

Global Athlete

A copy of the endorsement from the recognized governing body for your sport must be sent to us. This needs to have the unique reference number of the regulating body on it.

T2 Minister of Religion or Religious Worker

You need to email us details about your company, such as the following:


  • Which religion or faith do you practice?

  • information about your parent company, if any, and your relationship with them;

  • a hierarchy chart that indicates your position inside the hierarchy, if applicable

  • Your adult congregation’s size

  • How many clergy members do you now employ, if any?

  • addresses of the locations where you usually meet

  • the days and times you have set aside for worship


If your faith has a formal hierarchy, you will need to provide us with a letter of support attesting to your membership from the leader of your faith body organization (or their designated legal representative).

Global Business Mobility – Provider of Services

In order to supply a service that is covered by a relevant UK trade commitment that is either currently in effect or being provisionally applied, you must show that you have an eligible contract with an overseas service provider that satisfies the requirements outlined in Section GBM2 of Sponsor a Global Business Mobility Worker.

Tips for a Successful Application

Start Early: To make sure you have all the necessary paperwork ready, start the application procedure as soon as possible. It can take some time.

Professional Advice: To successfully manage the application process, think about consulting with immigration specialists or solicitors.

Double-Check Everything: Make sure that all data and paperwork are correct and current, as errors may cause delays or even rejection.

Training and Awareness: Inform your employees of their responsibilities and the guidelines about their sponsor license.

Sustaining Compliance: To keep your sponsorship status, you must keep up with the Home Office’s regulations after you receive the Sponsor License.


For companies wishing to interact with overseas students, temporary workers, or the global talent pool, obtaining a UK Sponsor License is an important first step. It is imperative that you properly prepare and provide the necessary paperwork. If you don’t, your application may be rejected, or there may be delays.

You may improve your chances of getting a Sponsor License and, as a result, help your company succeed in the cutthroat global market by being aware of the importance of each document and following the Home Office’s recommendations.


We work with a passion of taking challenges and creating possibilities for our clients.

Official Info

325-331, High road Ilford, Greater London, IG1 1NR 

+44 (0) 20 3355 3058

Open Hours

Mon – Fri: 11:00 am – 8:00 pm

Sat & Sunday: CLOSED

Scroll to Top